Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

An amputee around the world

As an amputee without legs and one arm I found it amazing to 'provocate' myself, to say it in that way, -or should I need to say: Discovering how far I can go as a half person?


My first travel was to Brazil and I ended up in a paradise called Santos in the state of Sao Paulo. That was years ago, but by still renting an apartment in Belgium; My country of origin, I wasn't in the possibility to stay financially.
My second travel was a friend from USA Florida who invited me. Once in America for a vacation of 3 weeks and after the big discovery how wheelchair it is over there, I decided to go through the whole process of immigration and staid for two years.
After that I discovered for a short time Sri Lanka to end up for many years in Brazil.
When I was once over there without money, a blocked bank card and staying 14 days on the airport sleeping at the terminal, was in one way a goosebump, realizing that not everyone without legs do those things. At that time there was no any fun about it. Afterwards I had a good feeling that I did it. 

After Brazil I decided to try out Portugal, where I was for 2 years. 
I missed speaking so much Portuguese and I guess that was the main reason why I was ready for Portugal
Right now I am in the Philippines, but that is another long story.
I published a book about it and it is called 'Around the world without legs and one arm'. 
Available at lulu, amazon, barnes and nobles, ...
It is the story from since I left Europe, till my return there. I guess a book good to push people with a disability in the direction of doing more with your life and showing yourself and others that you can do everything and that being like me is not an excuse to get out of the door and do some things that you and others thought it wasn't able to do. 
Being an amputee isn't so bad as some people think. Stay thinking positively is the message. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

As an amputee traveling with Klebsiella

Traveling as a triple amputee with Klebsiella pneumoniae, a bacteria that made a 5 X 7 cm hole in my right lung isn't that e...